(WSIL) -- 325 schools across the nation, including 18 in Illinois, have been honored with the National Blue Ribbon School award.
The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.
In our region, Eldorado Middle School was named a Blue Ribbon School.
The Department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
The Illinois schools named as National Blue Ribbon Schools were:
- Centralia – Raccoon Consolidated School District 1, Raccoon Consolidated School District 1.
- Chicago – Disney II Magnet High School, City of Chicago School District 299.
- Chicago – Prosser Career Academy High School, City of Chicago School District 299.
- Chicago – Walter Payton College Preparatory High School, City of Chicago School District 299.
- Clarendon Hills – Prospect Elementary School, Hinsdale Community Consolidated School District 181.
- Eldorado – Eldorado Middle School, Eldorado Community Unit School District 4.
- Highland Park – Braeside Elementary School, North Shore School District 112.
- Hinsdale – Hinsdale Central High School, Hinsdale Township High School District 86.
- Lake Forest – Lake Forest High School, Lake Forest Community High School District 115.
- Lake Villa – Prince Of Peace School, Archdiocese of Chicago School District.
- Mundelein – Carmel Catholic High School, Carmel Catholic.
- Northbrook – Maple School, Northbrook/Glenview School District 30.
- Oak Brook – Butler Junior High School, Butler School District 53.
- Okawville – Okawville Grade School, West Washington County Community School District 10.
- Palatine – Walter R. Sundling Junior High School, Palatine Community Consolidated School District 15.
- Park Ridge – Lincoln Middle School, Park Ridge-Niles School District #64.
- Taylorville – Taylorville Jr High School, Taylorville Community Unit School District 3.
- Westmont – Westmont High School, Community Unit School District 201.
The coveted National Blue Ribbon Schools award affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year.
“This year’s cohort of honorees demonstrates what is possible when committed educators and school leaders create vibrant, welcoming, and affirming school cultures where rich teaching and learning can flourish,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. “I commend all our Blue Ribbon honorees for working to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs. In the face of unprecedented circumstances, you found creative ways to engage, care for, protect, and teach our children. Blue Ribbon Schools have so much to offer and can serve as a model for other schools and communities so that we can truly build back better.”