Suit dropped but not fight over boy cut from soccer team - WSIL-TV 3 Southern Illinois

Suit dropped but not fight over boy cut from soccer team

Posted: Updated:

LADUE, Mo. (AP) - A lawsuit over a 16-year-old boy who didn't make a suburban St. Louis soccer team has been dismissed but the legal wrangling isn't over.

The student's mother and stepfather said Wednesday in dismissing the suit that they are focusing for now on a separate civil rights complaint that's been referred to mediation.

The lawsuit said that the boy, identified as John Doe, didn't make the varsity soccer team at Ladue Horton Watkins High School, and was barred from returning to the junior varsity team because younger players are given precedence. His family alleged discrimination, noting that the school lets female juniors play on the girls' junior varsity team.

Earlier this month, a judge refused to force the school to put the teen on the JV team while the lawsuit proceeded.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WSIL. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.