Marion woman's phone explodes after Samsung issued recall - WSIL-TV 3 Southern Illinois

Marion woman's phone explodes after Samsung issued recall

Posted: Updated:

MARION --Samsung recalled more than two million Galaxy Note 7's last week after numerous reports of the devices exploding and catching fire while charging. 

Joni Barwick of Marion knows first-hand about the Note 7's battery issues.

"I would not recommend people sleeping with them in their bed. I'm lucky. 30 minutes prior, I was holding it, plugged in. Luckily, it didn't explode in my hand," said Barwick. 

Barwick woke early Thursday morning to every smart phone user's nightmare. 

She sleeps with her phone on her nightstand, like many of us do, but Thursday morning she woke to her's exploding.

"I call it exploding because this did shoot pieces of whatever was inside the phone, out," explained Barwick.  

Barwick bought her Samsung Galaxy Note 7 two weeks ago when it first came out.

The phone is currently part of a worldwide recall. 

"I was aware of the recall and we were told to wait for the replacement. We didn't feel the real sense of urgency because it had been a small number of people this was actually happening to," said Barwick. 

But it happened to her. Spraying parts of the melted phone onto her bed and her dog. 

"We couldn't touch it for two hours it was so hot. The smoke was unbearable black, thick smoke, our whole house was full of smoke," she said. 

Barwick's experience is not isolated.

A quick review of social media uncovers photos of many more incidents similar to Barwick's.

"My husband had one as well and he turned his back in and switched back to an iPhone," said Barwick. 

She urges everyone who has the new Galaxy Note 7, to turn it in and get a replacement. 

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
Slideshows
loading...
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WSIL. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.