Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014
Restaurant Report Card: Dec. 16, 2013
WSIL -- Windows at the Rend Lake Resort in Whittington earned an 83 during the health department's most recent visit.
There was only one critical violation. Spoiled milk had to be thrown away. Other deductions were taken because the inside of the toasters and ovens needed to be cleaned, along with cutting boards, the microwave, the kitchen vents and the dish area.
The floors in the kitchen, the steps, the storage room and the walk-in cooler were also dirty. There were no paper towels in the bathroom; the ice cream scoop was left in the ice cream.
We reached out to management at Windows for their take on the inspection, but our calls were not returned.
Chuck's Bar-B-Q in Herrin received an 86 from the inspector.
The lone critical problem here was a broken valve at the three compartment sink. Chuck's also lost points for a dumpster lid that was left open and a drip in the basement. Additionally, employees were touching ready-to-eat foods without using gloves, tongs or a spatula.
A follow-up ten days later showed the leaky sink had been fixed.
Also in Herrin, it was a 92 for the Frenchman's Widow.
There were no critical violations, but some food wasn't at least six inches off the floor. A paper towel dispenser had to be re-mounted on the wall, and the restaurant was also docked a few points for not having proper scoops in the sauces.
All the issues were fixed on the spot.
A 96 puts The Pioneer's Cabin in Percy next on our list. The inspector praised the new flooring and labeling in the kitchen, but deducted points because the walls behind the fryers were dirty.
The exterior of the doors and cabinets also needed to be cleaned and sanitized.
El Ranchito in Harrisburg tops the Report Card this week with a nearly perfect score of 99. The outside of the ice machine needed cleaning, which cost El Ranchito the lone lost point.
Wind: 15 MPH
Humidity: 87 %