Thursday, Dec 12, 2013
Restaurant Report Card: Oct. 14, 2013
WSIL -- China Wok in Carbondale is once again the low scorer with a 78, a nearly 20-point drop from when it was featured in June.
A trio of critical violations were the main source of lost points. Chicken was left out, sitting in water, at room temperature and had to be thrown away. The three compartment sink wasn't set up properly; the chicken was sitting in one part of it and the other two were empty. Additionally, cigarettes and a lighter were left near food.
A hand sink was leaking, some kitchen employees didn't have their hair covered properly, and there was a homemade kitchen tool being used. The report notes, "due to the number and nature of the violations, this facility is being placed back on an accelerated inspection schedule."
When the inspector returned two weeks later, a few of the problems had been fixed, but the lighter was still in the kitchen, hair coverings remained an issue, and the inspector wrote, "I never want to see the homemade (wok broom) anywhere in the kitchen again."
Management did not return our call for comment.
Grumpy's Smokehouse BBQ in Carterville earned an 86 on its most recent check.
A broken screen door was the only critical violation, but ice build-up in the freezer, a dirty wall behind the grill, and meat stored less than six inches off the floor in the freezer also cost Grumpy's points.
Rolando's in Du Quoin received an 88.
The inspector found two critical issues. An employee wasn't following proper hand washing protocol, and there was an improperly labeled spray bottle. Both were fixed on the spot.
Rolando's also needed a covered trash can in the restroom.
A 94 puts La Fiesta in Marion next on the list.
There were no critical problems, but some food in the cooler wasn't covered. Holes in the wall also needed to be patched, and cloths used to wipe down equipment and tables weren't being stored in a bucket of sanitizer.
And Beth's Café in Zeigler takes top honors this week with a 97. The electric outlets in the dry storage room needed covers, and a box of corn flakes was left open.
Wind: 3 MPH
Humidity: 85 %