Sunday, Mar 9, 2014
Button Battery Dangers
CLEVELAND, OH -- The holidays are full of lights and sounds, some of which are made possible by button batteries.
Experts remind parents again this time of year about the dangers involved. About 3,500 button battery ingestions are reported to U.S. poison control centers each year.
Button batteries come in various sizes and bring life to a number of musical cards, ornaments, flameless candles and other holiday trinkets.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics the most dangerous type of button batteries are about the size of a nickel and can easily injure or lodge in a small child's esophagus. If it happens, head to the Emergency Room right away.
Wind: 5 MPH
Humidity: 86 %