Murphysboro Home Burns
MURPHYSBORO -- Firefighters in Murphysboro had a busy Sunday morning after a home went up in flames. It happened around 8:30 a.m. on the 400 block of Fiddler Ridge road. When fire crews arrived, they say the home was fully engulfed.Everyone inside made it out safely, but the home is a total loss.
Several fire agencies helped to put out the blaze. The Murphysboro fire department was on the scene for nearly five hours, because of an issue with the gas meter.
"The gas meter was attached to the house, fire spread to the gas meter, and the gas meter fell and it ignited the gas meter and in turn, set the gas on fire and continued to burn 'til Ameren arrived," explains Michael Dosch with the Murphysboro Fire Department
The fire department says they had to remain on scene until Ameren got there and made sure the gas line was properly shut off. The American Red Cross has been contacted to help out the man living in the home.
Wind: 7 MPH
Humidity: 87 %