Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014
More Fires at Anna Gray Apartments
FRANKLIN COUNTY-- Crews were busy fighting multiple fires at an apartment building Saturday.
Emergency responders were called to the scene four times in one day. Officials say all of the fires were inside the trash chute of the Anna Gray apartments.
West Frankfort Fire Department Captain Ron Rains said some of the fires may have been an accident; someone leaving cigarettes or ash in their garbage.
"Be careful what you put in there," he said, "Only put trash in the chute."
The housing authority plans to end use of the trash chute all together. That chute runs from the first through ninth floors, so it's nearly impossible to determine where the fires started.
Crews responded to other fires at the building earlier this month. No word on whether they are connected. No one was injured in Saturday's fires.
Wind: 0 MPH
Humidity: 71 %