Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014
Shawnee National Forest Announces Participation in 2014 Fee-Free Days
Date(s) & Time(s)::
Daily from January 13, 2014 until November 11, 2014
The Shawnee National Forest joins other federal agencies in offering fee-free days on public lands in 2014, beginning January 20, 2014, in conjunction with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. That day marks the first of five fee-free weekends the agency, including the Forest, is offering the public in 2014.Return to event list.
The 2014 free-fee days the U.S. Forest Service, including the Shawnee, will participate in are:
• January 20, 2014 Martin Luther King Jr. Day; Free camping at non-reserved campsites Saturday, January 18, 2014 and Sunday, January 19, 2014 evenings.
• February 15-17, 2014 President’s Day Weekend; Free camping at non-reserved campsites Saturday, January 18, 2014 and Sunday, January 19, 2014 evenings.
• June 14, 2014 National Get Outdoors Day; Free camping at non-reserved campsites on Friday, June 13, 2014 and Saturday, June 14, 2014.
• September 27, 2014 National Public Lands Day; Free camping at non-reserved campsites on Friday, September 26, 2014 and Saturday, September 27, 2014.
• November 8-11, 2014 Veterans Day Weekend; Free camping at non-reserved campsites on Saturday, November 8, 2014, Sunday, November 9, 2014 and Monday, November 11, 2014.
The Shawnee National Forest campgrounds included in the fee waiver are as follows: Garden of the Gods, Pounds Hollow, Camp Cadiz, Pine Hills, and Johnson Creek. Please note that concessionaire operated campgrounds are not included in the fee waiver.
The program is in cooperation with other federal land management agencies under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. Fees are waived generally for day-use areas, such as picnic grounds, developed trailheads and destination visitor centers. Concessionaire operated sites may be included in the waiver if the permit holder wishes to participate. Contact your local national forest or grassland to learn if your destination requires a fee and if that fee is waived.
View a list of fee-free days for 2014 and the public land agencies that honor them on website.
Wind: 12 MPH
Humidity: 69 %