Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014
Restaurant Report Card: Dec. 30, 2013
WSIL -- The health department gave Kew Gardens in Herrin an 84 at its last visit.
The dish machine was the source of the only critical violation; it wasn't sanitizing.
Empty cans were being used as scoops in other food, the prep area needed to be cleaned, and some food wasn't high enough up off the floor in the freezer. The inspector asked Kew Gardens to clean equipment and containers in the kitchen, along with the inside of one of the refrigerators. Points were also deducted because some of the food in the cooler wasn't labeled with the date and time it was prepared.
A follow-up 10 days later showed the critical problem with the dish machine had been fixed. Employees say the dish machine problem was taken care of immediately, and the cleaning Issues have also been corrected.
Plaza Restaurant in Benton makes its Report Card debut with a score of 85.
There was only one critical issue there. The bleach solution used to soak the wiping cloths was too strong. Plaza was also docked for using an unapproved type of ceiling tile.
Some food wasn't labeled correctly, a wood block table needed to be repaired, and the light shield that guards against shattered bulbs in the kitchen was broken.
The Jackson Square McDonald's in Murphysboro earned a 94, a nine point improvement since its appearance in April.
There was only one problem, but it resulted in two violations, including one critical. The water in the dish machine wasn't getting hot enough to properly sanitize the dishes. McDonald's was instructed to use the three-compartment sink to wash, rinse and sanitize until the machine could be fixed.
The inspector commended the fast food spot for great cleaning.
It was a 97 for Mary's in Herrin. The floor by the ice maker needed to be cleaned, and a spray bottle with butter in it wasn't labeled.
And the top spot this week goes to Grecian Steakhouse in Pinckneyville with a 98.
The minor deductions were for cleaning. The floor under the kitchen equipment and the freezer door and handles were dirty.
Wind: 21 MPH
Humidity: 61 %